Travel Scholarship Terms and Conditions
The Scarborough Sixth Form College Travel to Learn Scholarship is additional to any other support or bursary offered by the College or any other agency. Students can apply to the College’s Student Support Fund in addition to the Travel to Learn Scholarship. It is intended to support the student’s studies at Scarborough Sixth Form College but can be used at the discretion of the recipient.
The Travel to Learn Scholarship is available to students who meet all of the following conditions:
- The student has applied for the scholarship before the deadline
- The student has enrolled on a full-time advanced programme of study at Scarborough Sixth Form College and is either on the first or second year of that programme, studied in consecutive years
- The student lives more than 15 miles from Scarborough Sixth Form College
- The student achieves a 7, 8 or 9 in both GCSE English Language and GCSE Maths
- all students achieving an 8 or 9 in both subjects will automatically receive the Scholarship
- otherwise the College will award scholarships to those who achieve 7 or above up to a maximum of 15 students in total; where the number of successful applicants exceeds this maximum, those living furthest away will be given priority
- The student must currently be in Year 11 or currently studying at Scarborough Sixth Form
- The student has a satisfactory level of attendance; the College may withdraw the scholarship if the student is being subject to disciplinary sanctions
Distance from College
Students must be living more than 15 miles from Scarborough Sixth Form College, Sandybed Lane, Scarborough, YO12 5LF. This is calculated using the most direct route to college. If applicants do not meet the 15 mile criteria they will be informed by the College that their application for the scholarship was unsuccessful.
To receive the Travel to Learn Scholarship students must achieve a 7, 8 or a 9 in GCSE English Language and Maths. Students can apply for the scholarship with predicted grades and will then need to bring their final GCSE results to college once they have received them in August.
All applicants will receive confirmation from the College as to whether or not their application is successful and the reason for this. The College reserves the right to limit the number of scholarships dependent on availability of funds. In this case the scholarships will be awarded on a priority basis with students achieving the highest grades being prioritised.
All Travel to Learn Scholarship applications must be received by the deadline midnight on Friday 4th September 2020. Scarborough Sixth Form College will acknowledge all applications for the scholarship by email as students apply and inform all applicants who meet the conditions for the scholarship as to whether or not their application is successful by Friday 11th September 2020.
The Scarborough Sixth Form College Travel to Learn Scholarship will be paid to qualifying students in two instalments per year:
• £220 at the start of the Autumn term
• £220 at the start of the Spring term
The scholarship is intended to be available for both years of a two-year study programme. It will not be extended beyond two years.
Scarborough Sixth Form College reserves the right to vary or withdraw the scholarship scheme at its discretion.