Careers at S6F:
The Careers Service is here to help all students explore the opportunities available after they complete their studies, whether they intend to progress to employment, higher education or take a gap year. Careers is a whole college commitment involving our Careers team, teaching staff, Guidance Support Tutors and Senior Management. You can view our Careers & Guidance Policy here.
- A varied and interesting careers programme consisting of events, guest speakers and external visits.
- Personal guidance specific to individual student needs and aspirations.
- Support with gaining work experience and part-time work.
- Current information about the labour market.
- Regular contact with employers, training providers and universities.
- Help to develop employability skills through CV workshops, mock interviews and careers guidance sessions.
The S6F Careers Programme 2019-20 offers support with:
- The opportunity to attend two Higher Education fairs at College. Over twenty universities from around the UK attend
to offer advice on courses, applying, interviews, finance and student life. The first is in September, the second
in May. Parents are invited to the latter.
- At our Higher Education & Careers day in July students can attend degree taster sessions in a variety of subjects and other university workshops.
- A series of university talks throughout the year at college, usually over lunch time. Areas covered can include:
student finance, choosing a degree, personal statement writing, summer schools and student life.
- Help with completing a UCAS application, including Personal Statement guidance and deadline reminders.
- Mock Interview practice.
- Regular updates about university open days, widening participation programmes, summer schools and admissions tests.
- Visits to universities and HE events.
Competitive Universities Group:
This group is designed to support students applying for competitive degree courses such as Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, or to competitive universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham or York. The group is open to all students and aims to inspire, inform and give students the best possible chance of securing an offer.
The group launches each year in October and consists of:
- University talks
- Former student talks
- Mock interviews/interview preparation
- Summer School advice
- A visit to the University of Oxford
- Application advice and guidance
- At our Higher Education & Careers day in July students can attend a number employment related workshops.
- We have dedicated Employment Seeking tutor groups to support any students looking for full-time work after their studies.
- Students have the opportunity to attend careers talks from various sectors, usually over lunch time.
- The Careers team offer CV checking, mock interviews and support with job searches and applications.
Gap Year & Volunteering:
- The Voluntary Work Fair in September provides students with the opportunity to speak to local organisations and apply
for volunteering vacancies.
- At our Higher Education & Careers day in July students can attend sessions focused on gap years and volunteering.
- In the careers office students can find information about gap years, working abroad and volunteering.
- Placements can be arranged in conjunction with college to help students gain industry experience and to enhance
- Work experience is vital for those wishing to go straight into employment and essential for entry on to some degree courses.
- Students can book 1:1 time with our Careers Advisers to discuss career plans and goals.
- Appointments can be booked through Guidance Support Tutors, or direct with the Careers team.
- Careers is located in the Guidance Support Office. We have a large number of resources relating to university, employment, gap year, part-time work and work experience.
For more information about Careers, please get in touch:
Ceri Colman | Careers & Work Placement Officer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Chapman | Industry Placement Officer | email@example.com
Emma Anderson | Careers Manager & Operational Careers Leader | firstname.lastname@example.org
Rowan Johnson | Vice Principal & Strategic Careers Leader | email@example.com