The Careers Service is here to help all students explore the opportunities available after they complete their studies, whether they intend to progress to employment, higher education or take a gap year. Careers is a whole college commitment involving our Careers team, teaching staff, Guidance Support Tutors and Senior Management. You can view our Careers & Guidance Policy here.
- A varied and interesting careers programme consisting of events, guest speakers and external visits.
- Personal guidance specific to individual student needs and aspirations.
- Support with gaining work experience and part-time work.
- Current information about the labour market.
- Regular contact with employers, training providers and universities.
- Help to develop employability skills through CV workshops, mock interviews and careers guidance sessions.
The S6F Careers Programme offers support with:
Students have the opportunity to attend two Higher Education fairs at College. Over twenty universities from around the UK attend to offer advice on courses, applying, interviews, finance and student life. The first is in September, the second in May. Parents are invited to the latter.
- A series of university talks throughout the year at college. Areas covered can include: student finance, choosing a degree, personal statement writing, summer schools and student life.
- Help with completing a UCAS application, including Personal Statement guidance and deadline reminders.
- Mock Interview practice.
- Regular updates about university open days, widening participation programmes, summer schools and admissions tests.
- Visits to universities and HE events.
This group is designed to support students applying for competitive degree courses such as Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, or to competitive universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham or York. The group is open to all students and aims to inspire, inform and give students the best possible chance of securing an offer.
The group launches each year in October and consists of:
- University talks
- Former student talks
- Mock interviews/interview preparation
- Summer School advice
- A visit to the University of Oxford
- Application advice and guidance
Apprenticeships & Employment
- At our annual Careers & Apprenticeship Fair in March over 40 employers will be in college to speak to students about employment opportunities.
- During our Careers Week in March students have the opportunity to listen to a variety of guest speakers and attend workshops.
- The Careers team offer CV checking, mock interviews and support with job searches and applications.
- Regular updates about employment and apprenticeship vacancies are emailed to students.
Gap Year & Volunteering
- The Voluntary Work Fair in September provides students with the opportunity to speak to local organisations and apply for volunteering vacancies.
- In the careers office students can find information about gap years, working abroad and volunteering.
- We have links with Project Trust and Camps International who organise expeditions abroad.
- In June, all lower sixth students take part in a Work Experience week to help explore the world of work.
- Placements can be arranged in conjunction with college to help students gain industry experience and to enhance
- Work experience is vital for those wishing to go straight into employment and essential for entry on to some degree courses.
- Work placement policy
- Students can book 1:1 personal guidance with our Careers Advisers to discuss career plans and goals.
- Appointments can be booked through Guidance Support Tutors, or direct with the Careers team.
- Careers is located in the Guidance Support Office. We have a large number of resources relating to university, employment, gap year, part-time work and work experience.
For more information about Careers, please get in touch
Ceri Colman | Careers Adviser | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Chapman | Careers, Work Placement and Enrichment Co-Ordinator |email@example.com
Emma Anderson | Careers Manager & Operational Careers Leader | firstname.lastname@example.org
Rowan Johnson | Vice Principal & Strategic Careers Leader | email@example.com