Sport - BTEC Extended Diploma
Special Entry Requirements:
You will need to meet the level 3 BTEC entry requirements.
A full time sports programme designed for students who are passionate about sport. We have a strong tradition of developing student potential and send over 50% of students onto university. Students are encouraged to make the most of their college years and undertake as many coaching courses, sports leadership events and qualifications as possible.
The eight core units followed by all students are:
1. Principles of Anatomy & Physiology
2. Physiology of Fitness
3. Health & Safety in Sport
4. Training & Fitness for Sport
5. Sports Coaching
6. Sports Development
7. Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise
8. Practical Team Sports*
9. Practical Individual Sports*
*Learners must select one of these units (unit 8 or 9) as a core unit and may select the other as a specialist unit
The ten specialist units for the Extended Diploma can be taken from the following:
10. Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
11. Sports Nutrition
12. Sport & Society
13. Leadership in Sport
14. Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
15. Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
16. Exercise for Specific groups
17. Psychology for Sports performance
18. Sports Injuries
19. Analysis of Sports Performance
20. Talent Identification and Development
21. Sport and Exercise Massage
22. Rules, regulations and officiating
23. Organising Sports Events
24. Working with Children in Sport
25. Sport as a Business
26. Work based Experience in Sport
The course is continually assessed via presentations, projects, posters and performing in a variety of roles. There are no external examinations on this course.
Extended Diploma students will complete nine units in each year completing a total of eighteen units
This course is designed for students wanting to pursuit a career within the sports industry such as: opportunities in health and fitness, sport and recreation and the outdoors e.g sports scientist, exercise physiologist, bio-mechanist, sports psychologist, sports medicine, injury treatment, sports dietician, coaching and fitness, sports attendant, fitness instructor, PE teacher, sports coach, sports development officer, sports centre management, professional sports performer, sports promotion, sports ground facility worker or instructors.
80% of our BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport students progressed to university last year and two went to America on scholarship programmes.