Business - BTEC Level 2
Special Entry Requirements:
You will need to meet the Progression Year entry requirements. We assume that no one has studied this subject before – although an interest in businesses and the way they function would be useful.
The BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate is an enjoyable and challenging one year course that is equivalent in value to three GCSEs. The course is an excellent base for advanced study, and many of our students have chosen to follow the BTEC Level 3 Diploma or BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business on completion of this course. There have been numerous students in recent years who have then gone on to study the subject at degree level and / or enter into a business related career.
The BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Business consists of two core units, one mandatory unit and up to nine optional units. Up to ten units will be assessed based on assignments that will range from reports to business presentations and team activities. Two of the units, Finance for Business and Principles of Marketing, are assessed by examination.
- Enterprise in the Business World (coursework)
- Finance for Business (examination)
- Principles of Marketing (examination)
- Promoting a brand
- Sales and Personal Selling
- Providing Business Support
- Visual Merchandising in Retail Business
- Principles of Customer Service
- Introducing Retail Businesses
- Recruitment, Selection and Employment
- Building Successful Business Teams,
- Financial Planning and Forecasting
The Finance for Business and Principles of Marketing units are both assessed by examination. All other units are assessed entirely through coursework. The work you complete will be based on evidence from real organisations and the assessments will be varied (including report writing and more practical work such as presentations and group activities).
Assignments that students are to complete range from evaluating your performance when selling to customers to working in business teams (apprentice style). Written material such as reports and presentations will also be produced by students.
On completion of this course you may:
- Choose to proceed to the BTEC Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Business – the majority of students completing this course are likely to follow this route and many will successfully proceed onto degree courses at university.
- Choose to enter employment – a number of our past students have gained employment in their chosen field or moved on to Modern Apprenticeships.